Marlborough Forest Industry Association



    History

    Loading logs at Shakespeare Bay, Picton
     

    The first production forest of any size was planted in the early 1900's by prison labour at Dumgree in the Awatere Valley. Most of the forest growing industry in Marlborough is however relatively young with major plantings taking place from 1970 onwards.

    By 1971 the industry recognised there was a need for a formal organisation to represent the forest growers and the Marlborough Forest Owners Association was formed. One of the main driving forces in the establishment of the Association was the need for a strong body to represent the industry at local government hearings and meetings.

    With the development of the forest processing industry in Marlborough it was important that the Association should represent forest processors, and support industries, as well as forest owners. The Association's name was therefore changed in 2000 to the Marlborough Forest Industry Association (Incorporated).

    Gallery
    Powered by Webpression by Create IT © 2012 Marlborough Forest Industry Association Ltd